Thursday, February 16, 2017

RootsTech 2017 Exhibit Hall Wanderings

The RootsTech exhibit hall is an event in and of itself. One could spend the entire conference visiting the booths and the presentations being made by the vendors in their booths. Every year I vow to spend more time exploring the hall. This year I was pretty successful. Here are some highlights in no particular order.
 
MyHeritage
Their new DNA offerings are the big topic with MyHeritage. If you've previously tested with another company you can upload your results to MyHeritage. The only catch is that you won't be able to view the ethnicity results or use MyHeritage's ethnicity related tools without purchasing their DNA kit and taking their test. To read more see my post, "RootsTech 2017 - A Look Back at Thursday."
I purchased 3 kits for myself and family members to try out their tools so you'll hear more about that when the results come back. 

Pedigree Map was one of the presentations I sat through in the MyHeritage both. This feature on MyHeritage plots events from your family tree on an interactive map. I'm looking forward to digging into this feature more. The first time I used it I was reminded of a number of events that had slipped my mind. It also shows clusters of events and the geographical proximity of various people and their events in my tree.

Your DNA Guide - Diahan Southard is Your DNA Guide. She is the author of the quick guides of which I own every single one. They are excellent. Her website has tutorials and you can schedule consultations with her. 

Diahan's presentation, DNA: The Glue that Holds Families Together was both educational and moving. It's available online at the RootsTech website for a limited time. I highly recommend it. I also recommend having a box of Kleenex handy.

Champollion 2.0 was one of the Innovator Summit semi-finalists. Champollion 2.0 is a PC based program that has tools for managing old documents that have been digitized. It allows the user to transcribe a document and directly annotate an image, number the lines on an image and adjust an image to make it more readable among many other things. I was fascinated with this product!

ExcelsiorCollege is now offering two online courses for researchers.
1.   Practicum in Genealogical Research taught by Melinda Lutz Byrne, CG, FASG. This is an advanced problem solving class using real genealogical cases. Students also have the opportunity to apply the skills they learn to a case of their own choice.
2.   Genetic Genealogy taught by Blaine Bettinger, PhD, JD. This is a pretty all encompassing class using DNA. The flier I picked up says the intended audience is beginner through advanced. Students learn how to interpret results and use the many tools available today.
They both look like excellent classes and I've heard great things about them. I'm taking a hard look at the Practicum because that's what I need right now!

Living DNA - offers a DNA test that will help you understand more about where your ancestors come from. Living DNA claims to be especially strong with British Isles ancestry. They are testing populations that have lived in an area for centuries. The downside is that they don't yet tell you who your matches are. At this point they are more focused on determining deeper ancestry. It will be interesting to see how this product develops.

Utah Genealogical Association - Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy
In 2018 the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy is January 22-27 at the Hilton in downtown Salt Lake City just a couple of blocks from the Family History Library. I've attended for the past six years and can't recommend the institute enough.
Disclaimer: I am a SLIG Ambassador because I love SLIG so much. I may get some small benefits for being a SLIG Ambassador but don't know what they will be yet. All opinions are my own.

Association of Professional Genealogists - I stopped by the APG booth to pick up a flier for the 2017 Professional Management Conference. It's in Washington, D.C. this year September 20th through October 1st.

Geni The collaborative World Family Tree. Through a partnership with Family Tree DNA, Geni members can pull their DNA results over from FtDNA and attach them to their family tree. This allow you to locate additional DNA matches. MyHeritage bought Geni a few years ago so they also integrate MyHeritage's matching features.


Coming soon is the RootsTech 2017 wrap-up and my interview with CeCe Moore.

 © 2017, copyright Michelle Goodrum

No comments:

Post a Comment